Saturday, 3 November 2012

Laura-Jane White Double Page Spread Analysis

This double page spread is from the magazine NME which relates to the type of magazine I am focusing on.

This double page spread has the photo of Florence dominating 2/3rds of the double page leaving 1/3rd of the double page for text. This makes the artist the main focus.The house style colours for this is black, red and white, keeping it bold as the red contrasts the black and white.

The colour scheme could relate to the USA flag which links to the text imprinted behind. The pose of the model shows how toned she is and that's how women should look and this reflects on the representation of females. Her costume outfit for this double page spread links in with the house style colours as her hair is red and her heels and dress are black.

This double page spread uses: drop capitals (in the article), sub-headings, titles and San serif fonts. The 'USA' title in the back ground reflects that she is an American artist and the props resemble that as well (USA flag). Also the second title 'Got The Love' is a lyric from one of her songs.

The register of this article is informal as they use quotes of: "F**k you I (heart) Tin machine", "I was soooooo hungover.." and "Arghhhhhh!" This is a common use of slang in which they have featured in this article as to the interview that they had. However it is fairly formal as the writer itself uses formal language.


This double page spread is from the magazine Billboard which relates to the type of magazine I am focusing on.

This double page spread has the photo of Amy Winehouse dominating half of the double page leaving the other half of the double page for text. The house style colours for this magazine is just black and white. The colour scheme could relate to the ink style as in text it says 'Amys Ink House'.

The pose of the model shows her relaxed in just her bra and shorts showing certain amount of flesh, and this reflects on the representation of females. This double page spread uses titles and serif fonts. The 'Amys Ink House' title in the back ground reflects her name as they have changed 'Wine' to 'Ink' house.

REVIEW
For my own magazine I will consider a bold statement photo which will dominate 3/4 of a page like in the two samples above.For this I will consider the props, costume, background image and pose. This will also include a short article on the subject of the artist in which I will consider what message I am going to give across to the reader.

2 comments:

  1. How does this inform your planning? You have written about language and you use media terminology well, however you must relate all research to your own planning.
    Miss King

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read and updated, Laura-Jane White

    ReplyDelete